Saturday, May 5, 2012

Testing Motivation Posters

In Kentucky elementary schools, the students in 3rd-5th grades take the state accountability assessments. Obviously, we want our students to do their best on the test, so we usually have some kind of testing pep rally to encourage the kids. Well, a couple of years ago, we decided to recruit motivation from the parents as well. We ask the parents to make motivational posters to encourage their kids. The posters are hung in the classroom for the students to look at during testing.

Now the exciting part of the whole thing is that the posters are a SECRET! Almost all of my students' parents have email, so typically I send an email requesting the poster and explaining the surprise. For those parents that do not have email, I send a letter in a sealed envelope.

This week, the parents dropped the posters off in the school office. Then yesterday after school, I hung all of the posters in the classroom so they will be ready for the kids when they come in on Monday morning. They are going to love them! Here are some pictures of the posters from this year. They are SO cute! You can see that the parents went to a lot of work to include their child's interests on the posters. I know they are going to mean so much to the kids. I CAN'T wait to see the kids' faces when they see them. 


Update:  If I have a student that does not have a poster, I make one for the student.  I want all students to have a poster.  :) 


 If you would like a copy of the letter that I send to the parents, you can click on the picture below.  I left it generic, so you can add your information if you want to use it in your classroom. 

Have a great weekend!  And don't forget about the BIG TpT sale this weekend!  I have my cart full and ready to checkout.  I can't wait!  :)  

2 comments:

  1. Oh my I love this idea!! It's too super cute!! I just fear that not all the parents would send one in... :/
    ❤Teri
    A Cupcake for the Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri,

    I always make posters for the kids that do not have one. I had to make three this year. In years past, I have had 100% participation. It's definitely something the teacher has to consider...taking care of the ones that don't have one.

    ReplyDelete