Monday, February 6, 2012

President Study and Fraction Craftivity

This week I am beginning a study on Presidents-mainly Lincoln and Washington. I figured since President's Day is this month, I would take the opportunity to integrate a little Social Studies with Reading.

I just about always start out my units using the "Schema" method. I have the students brainstorm what they already know about the subject and throughout the unit, we add new learning and note misconceptions. At the end of the unit, the students fill out a slip with all of their new learning and we toss out (throw away in the trash can) all of our misconceptions. It's loads of fun!
I took pictures of my President Schema posters today, but for some reason I can't find them on my camera. I don't know what happened. Anyway, I will take pictures of them tomorrow and post them. I am attaching some freebies. I am attaching my labels and clipart for the posters and two Presidential tree maps if you are planning a President study with your kiddos. (Clipart purchased from KPM Doodles). Click on the pictures to download the documents.
After a Presidential study, I plan to read the book, George Washington's Socks by Elvira Woodruff. I am so excited about this book! I know my kids are going to like it as well.

In Math class, we have been studying fractions. Recently, I purchased this ah-dorable fraction pizza craftivity from Amy Lemons on TPT. I did this activity with my kiddos today....the LOVED it! I totally recommend this fun activity if you are teaching fractions. There is a handout that goes with this pizza where the students have to write the fraction of slices that have each topping. I took this a step farther and had the kids simplify their fractions as well. It was TOTALLY AWESOME! You can purchase your own copy of this activity here. It was well worth $1.75.






These are just a few things that I have going on in my classroom this week. I will post pictures of my schema charts tomorrow, as well as some of the resources that I am using with my President unit.

Have a great one!

1 comment:

  1. I am loving your blog! I am your newest follower! I would love for you to come follow me and help raise $ for an animal shelter...come check it out! =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete