Monday, January 30, 2012

Teeth, Tooth Fairy, and Cavities, Oh My!

I recently purchased this Teeth Writing Unit from Jodi over at Clutterfree Classroom. I didn't really know exactly what I was going to do with it, but it is too stinkin' cute to resist. I decided we were going to study teeth in February for Dental Health month. I thought it was a perfect opportunity to tie in a little Practical Living with Language Arts. You can click on the link below to purchase your own copy of this adorable packet. She even has a Youtube video of how to use the materials. It's AWESOME!

I created the Teeth Schema sheet and the students recorded their information. Then we compiled out schema and added it our Teeth Schema chart. After that we watched a Brainpop video over teeth and recorded our information on the tree map (each student has their own tree map in addition to the poster.) The schema poster clipart and the tree map was part of Jodi's packet.
During the week, we are going to read fiction and nonfiction books about teeth. This week the students are going to write a narrative about losing a tooth. Next week, we are going to use our new learning to create an article about dental health and taking care of your teeth. The kids are super excited about this unit. :) Thanks to Jodi for inspiring this unit on TEETH!

No comments:

Post a Comment